Wrongful Death in Memphis Nursing Homes Attorneys
Compassionate nursing home abuse attorneys advocating for families of victims
Families who entrust the care of their elder loved ones to a nursing home believe that they will be safe and well-cared for. They are paying the staff to care for their family members and look after their needs. However, too many elders who are living in nursing homes are being abused and neglected by the people in charge of their care. Sometimes incidents of abuse end up causing the premature death of the elder residents. If the nursing home resident’s sudden death can be proven to be caused by abuse and neglect, family members may be eligible to take legal action against the nursing home to recover compensation for the loss of their loved one.
If you have lost a loved one due to nursing home abuse, the compassionate wrongful death attorneys at Bailey & Greer, PLLC, are ready to meet with you and discuss your case. We are committed to obtaining justice on behalf of those who have lost family members due to abuse and neglect at nursing homes and assisted living facilities in Memphis, Jackson, and throughout West Tennessee.
How can we help?
- What are common causes of wrongful death in Memphis nursing homes?
- Who has standing to file a wrongful death lawsuit in Tennessee?
- What types of damages can I seek in a Memphis nursing home wrongful death claim?
- How the nursing home wrongful death attorneys at Bailey & Greer can help
- Is there a Memphis nursing home wrongful death attorney near me?
What are common causes of wrongful death in Memphis nursing homes?
In a study on elder abuse by Cornell University, 7.6% to 10% of study participants had experienced abuse in the year prior to the study. A study in the Journal of the American Medical Association reports that elders who have experienced abuse had a 300% higher risk of death compared to those who had not been abused. This makes sense because being abused by the people who are supposed to be caring for them might cause your loved one to feel anxiety and distress.
Even though most of the population of nursing homes are elderly people in their golden years, an untimely death can have many causes including the following:
- Falls. Many nursing home residents can be frail and not steady on their feet. The tile floors of nursing homes can be slick, there can be random debris on the floor, or the resident could just lose his or her balance and tumble to the floor causing serious injury due to brittle bones.
- Malnutrition. If residents are not eating and drinking fluids as they should, or if they simply don’t like the food or have a diminished appetite, they can begin to lose weight, become malnourished and dehydrated which can leave them vulnerable to illness.
- Infections. From urinary tract infections, MRSA and the flu, elderly residents whose advanced age might cause them to have a compromised immune system are more susceptible to infection which, if left untreated, could lead to death.
- Physical abuse and neglect. It is a shameful fact that physical abuse of vulnerable elders in nursing homes is far too common.
- Medical malpractice. Often elderly nursing home residents’ medical conditions go undiagnosed and untreated due to neglectful staff members. Medication errors and misdiagnosis are other forms of malpractice that can lead to the death of a resident.
Who has standing to file a wrongful death lawsuit in Tennessee?
To be safe, a wrongful death lawsuit must be filed within one year of the date of the fatal injury. If the death is the result of medical malpractice, there are additional procedural steps that must be taken before the lawsuit can be filed. The parties who can file include:
- A husband on behalf of his wife
- A wife on behalf of her husband
- If the decedent is single, the lawsuit can be filed by his or her children or parents or the executor of the estate
- A sibling may file a wrongful death lawsuit if the decedent did not leave a spouse or a child, and if their parents have already passed away
These are general guidelines from Tennessee law. If you are considering taking legal action for the wrongful death of a loved one who passed away in a nursing home, and you suspect the cause of death can be proved to be abuse or neglect, the experienced wrongful death attorneys at Bailey & Greer are ready to represent you. We will make sure that you and your family get the compensation you are entitled to for the devastating loss of your loved one.
What types of damages can I seek in a Memphis nursing home wrongful death claim?
If your loved one dies because of negligence, neglect, or abuse, you can seek the following damages:
- Medical expenses associated with your loved one’s care, including hospital visits, rehabilitation costs, and home health care
- Pain and suffering
- Funeral and burial expenses
- Loss of benefits, if applicable
- Lost wages for family members who did not work while attending to your loved one
How the Memphis nursing home wrongful death attorneys at Bailey & Greer can help
Losing a loved one is never easy, no matter their age or overall health. But when the neglectful and abusive acts of those meant to care for our loved ones lead to their loss before their time, it is especially horrendous and painful. At Bailey & Greer, our Memphis nursing home wrongful death attorneys want to take on as much of the work as we can to allow you and your family the time and space to recover. We know how to go after the facility responsible for your loved one’s death on your behalf and get you the compensation to which you are entitled. Nothing can bring back who you lost, but we can still make sure they don’t take anything else.
Is there a nursing home wrongful death attorney near me?
At Bailey & Greer, PLLC, our team is dedicated to being where you need us, when you need us. We are located at 6256 Poplar Ave in Memphis and will make home and hospital visits if you are too injured to travel.
Contact our Memphis nursing home wrongful death attorneys today
Grieving the loss of a loved one who lost his or her life due to nursing home abuse and neglect involves a combination of sadness and outrage. Our compassionate nursing home abuse attorneys at Bailey & Greer, PLLC understand your pain and your desire to bring the responsible parties to justice right away. We fight for your rights to compensation for your loss and to make sure that other elders do not suffer the same fate. Please fill out our contact form or call us to schedule a free consultation at 901-475-7434. We maintain offices in Memphis and Jackson for your convenience.