Filing a Complaint

How to File a Nursing Home Abuse and Neglect Complaint in Tennessee

Nursing home abuse attorneys protecting clients’ rights since 1986

If you were visiting your loved ones in a nursing home and you noticed that they did not seem like themselves, or they had some unexplained bruises and bedsores, you might have become alarmed.  When your loved one looks like they might be being abused or neglected by nursing home staff, you can file a formal complaint to stop the abuse, take legal action against the perpetrators, and make sure that your loved one is safe.

At the law office of Bailey & Greer, PLLC, we share your outrage at the thought that our elders are subject to abuse and neglect from the people who are being paid to care for them. We are here to protect your loved one’s rights and make sure that the responsible parties are held liable for their actions. We maintain multiple offices in West Tennessee, so you always have a Nashville, Memphis or Jackson nursing home abuse lawyer nearby when you need one.

What are the different types of nursing home abuse?

According to the National Center on Elder Abuse (NCEA) there are 16,639 nursing homes in the United States with 1,736,645 beds and 3.2 million Americans living in nursing homes in 2008 – and this number may have only increased. Nearly one in three nursing homes have been cited for violations of federal standards, and 44 percent of residents in a study of 2,000 nursing home residents said they had been abused and 95 percent said they had been neglected or witnessed another resident being neglected. The most common types of nursing home abuse include:

  • Physical abuse
  • Resident on resident abuse
  • Psychological abuse
  • Gross neglect
  • Sexual abuse
  • Financial exploitation

First, if it looks like your loved one has been assaulted, or is in immediate danger, call 911 to get help immediately. In Tennessee you can file a complaint with the Division of Health Care facilities either by telephone or by mail. When the department receives the complaint it will be investigated.

Your safest bet, however, is to contact a skilled nursing home abuse lawyer about your concerns. At Bailey & Greer, our compassionate nursing home negligence attorneys are here to hold facility administrators and staff accountable when a resident of their facility has been abused or neglected. We fight for your loved one’s rights and we help obtain compensation for their injuries.

Protecting families and victims of nursing home negligence

Do you need to file a complaint against a skilled nursing facility because of the abuse or neglect of a loved one? Bailey & Greer, PLLC can handle the complexities for you. We protect the rights of our clients who have been injured at a nursing home throughout Tennessee. Please call 901-680-9777 or fill out our contact form to schedule a no-obligation consultation at one of our law offices in Memphis, Jackson or Nashville.