Experienced Personal Injury Attorneys Fighting for West Tennessee Victims
Helping Memphis, Jackson and Nashville families move forward after an injury
Many Tennessee families are only one serious personal injury away from losing everything. The rising cost of healthcare, the time lost from work, the mounting medical expenses – all of these things can contribute to the difficulties a victim and their family will experience when the negligent actions of another change the course of your life forever.
At Bailey & Greer, PLLC, we know exactly what happens in the aftermath of a life-changing injury. We know that you may be frightened or confused or angry, and we know how easily it is to become too overwhelmed to take the necessary steps in your recovery. That is why our skilled team of personal injury lawyers fights aggressively on behalf of clients in Memphis, Jackson, and throughout West Tennessee who have suffered pain and loss because of someone else’s negligence. When you feel like you have nowhere to turn, we are there to guide you to a positive solution.
What is personal injury law?
Personal injury law is the area of law that works with the civil justice system to provide a legal remedy for individuals who have suffered an injury due to the negligent actions of another. The remedy in a personal injury case is financial compensation for the injury and loss that the plaintiff has suffered because of the actions or failure to act on the part of the defendant.
In a personal injury lawsuit, the plaintiff must prove that the defendant’s negligence was the direct cause of their injury and resulting damages. If the plaintiff prevails and proves the defendant’s negligence, the defendant will compensate the plaintiff for his or her injuries by paying the amount of damages the jury decides is appropriate.
What compensation can I receive for my personal injury?
Damages in a typical personal injury lawsuit might include any of the following:
- Medical expenses associated with the accident
- Property damage
- Lost income
- Pain and suffering
- Emotional distress
- Diminished earning capacity
What we do
The term “personal injury” encompasses several events or accidents that could cause you or your family member to suffer. In some cases, an injury may be the result of a “true” accident – banging your head on an open cupboard door for example, or tripping down the stairs because you were carrying large packages that obstructed your view. Our Memphis personal injury attorneys help people whose injuries were caused by the negligence of another person or entity. While we handle all manner of personal injury cases, we have developed a reputation in Memphis and Jackson as the go-to law firm for:
- Auto accident cases. We have extensive experience protecting victims of car crashes, trucking accidents, motorcycle crashes, and other motor vehicle-related incidents. We know the laws backwards and forwards and have successfully represented clients throughout the area in both jury trials and in settlement negotiations.
- Premises liability. If you slip and fall on an unmarked, icy walkway, or if you are injured when an off-the-leash animal bites you, then you may have grounds for a premises liability lawsuit. Any time property owners or managers neglect to keep their property safe, and someone is injured because of it, it falls into the category of premises liability.
- Product liability. Our skilled Memphis and Jackson product liability lawyers have substantial experience helping victims of defective medical devices and dangerous drugs, but we also handle defective products cases outside of the medical field. A faulty ignition switch, an improperly designed car seat, or a lack of warning label on a potentially dangerous product – any of these things can cause you harm or injury and would fall under a product liability case.
- Medical malpractice. Doctors are expected to uphold a certain standard of care. Failure to do so can cost you more than just money – it could cost you your life. If your healthcare provider acted negligently, and it resulted in you or your family member suffering long-lasting harm, our experienced medical malpractice attorneys can help. We are well regarded by former clients and peers for our work on behalf of families whose children suffered birth injuries at the hands of a negligent medical professional.
- Sexual abuse and assault. Survivors can file claims in civil court to hold their abusers accountable for the injuries they caused. We understand that these are delicate cases, and Bailey & Greer offers a safe and secure place to discuss your needs.
- Nursing home abuse. Many victims of nursing home abuse do not report their abusers, either because they are unable to do so or because they are afraid. A skilled nursing home abuse lawyer can help you protect your elderly loved one’s rights, and help him or her live out the golden years in comfort and security.
- Wrongful death. The loss of a loved one is always heartbreaking. Our wrongful death attorneys offer comprehensive representation for families who have suffered a wrongful death. We focus on the lawsuit, so you can focus on your recovery process.
- Traumatic brain injury. Falling and hitting your head, surviving a car accident, or being struck in a violent attack are all events that can lead to a traumatic brain injury. Brain injury or concussion can have significant and lasting impacts on a person’s physical, cognitive, and emotional functioning.
- Burn injuries. Burn injuries are among the most serious injuries you can sustain – and among the most painful, too. If you sustained a severe burn injury because of someone else’s negligence, let us help you.
- Spinal cord injury. A spinal cord injury is one of the most devastating injuries you can survive. You may have been involved in a motorcycle injury, a car or a truck accident, or you may have fallen at a construction site in a workplace injury.
- Slip and fall. A slip-and-fall on the floor at the mall, taking a tumble on stairs with a broken handrail, or getting attacked when your neighbor’s dog broke loose from their yard, these are injuries that can occur on someone else’s property and because of someone else’s negligence.
If I’m hurt in an accident in Tennessee how long do I have to file a lawsuit?
Tennessee has a statute of limitations (time limit for filing a lawsuit) of one year for filing a personal injury lawsuit. Tenn. Code § 28-3-104(a)(1)
What’s the process for filing a personal injury claim or lawsuit?
If you are filing a lawsuit against an individual or a corporation, it is important to take the following steps:
- Hire a Memphis personal injury attorney to represent you
- Gather evidence about the cause of the accident and the injuries you suffered
- Notify the person or entity that you intend to file a lawsuit
- File the lawsuit within the one-year statute of limitations in Tennessee
- Your attorney will manage the details of the discovery process, prepare for trial, and possibly reach a settlement agreement before the trial begins. The actual trial consists of jury selection, opening and closing arguments, the jury verdict, and a lot more that happens in between.
How long will my personal injury claim or lawsuit take?
There is no easy answer to that question because there are so many variables that will affect how long a personal injury claim will take. You have the option of settling quickly, but it is very possible that you might end up with less money. Or you could go through the long process of a trial, which holds the potential for a bigger payday, but there are no guarantees.
How much does a personal injury attorney charge?
Whether your case settles or goes to court, your personal injury attorney will take your case on contingency, which means you will not pay attorney fees unless they are successful in recovering compensation for you.
From our law offices in Memphis, Jackson, and Nashville, the lawyers of Bailey & Greer, PLLC, work hard to help you move forward after an accident. We are proud to serve Tennessee workers in need of workers’ compensation advice, we work with the permanently disabled and chronically ill in need of Social Security Disability benefits, and we provide services for all kinds of personal injury and medical malpractices cases. Whatever you need, we strive to provide. Let us advocate for you.
Experience the benefits and satisfaction that come with working with a proficient personal injury lawyer
Dealing with the aftermath of a serious personal injury is hard; choosing a lawyer who cares about your future should not be. Bailey & Greer, PLLC, has a long history of successful personal injury representation in Memphis, Jackson, Nashville, and throughout all of Tennessee. To schedule a no-obligation consultation today, please call 901-475-7434 or fill out our contact form.
- What Kind of Evidence Do I Need to Prove a Personal Injury Case?
- How to Handle a Medical Lien Against Your Personal Injury Lawsuit
- Tennessee Supreme Court Declines to Change Law on Proof of Medical Expenses in Personal Injury Cases
- Will I Be Required to Reimburse My Health Insurance Company After I Settle a Personal Injury Claim?
- What Makes an Injury Catastrophic
- Why a Lawsuit Is Necessary to Hold Eplex Ebox Accountable