Bicycle Accident Attorneys in Memphis
Tenacious representation for cyclists injured in West Tennessee
There are some absolutely beautiful bike trails across the state of Tennessee – and some pretty grueling ones, too. But as more and more people turn to cycling as a fun form of exercise and a green form of transportation, our state’s already-congested roads can become more hazardous, both for drivers and cyclists alike. If you are in a collision while on your bicycle, the chances are high that you will suffer serious injuries, which could have long-lasting or even permanent effects on your life.
The Memphis attorneys at Bailey & Greer, PLLC are uniquely equipped to protect your rights and your family’s future after you or a loved one are seriously injured in a bike accident. We are always near to our clients in West Tennessee when they need us most. You can rely on our team of personal injury lawyers to put your interests first, and to help you reach your goals.
Free Case Evaluation
What are common causes of Memphis bicycle accidents?
Cyclists face a plethora of challenges even under the best riding conditions. A strong wind can make it hard to maintain the bike’s upright position in a bike lane; a foggy morning can make visibility nearly impossible. One of the leading dangers for cyclists is other motor vehicles, who often do not see – or do not pay attention to – bicycle riders until it is too late. Bailey & Greer represents Memphis bicyclists whose injuries were caused by:
- Inattentive drivers. A driver who ignores the rules of the road, speeds through intersections or texts while driving poses many dangers to riders.
- Defective bike parts. In 2015, the Trek Bicycle Corporation recalled close to a million bikes because of a defective part which left one rider paralyzed and put all other riders at risk of serious injury or death. Our product liability attorneys help riders whose defective bikes caused them harm.
- Careless pedestrians. Pedestrians have the right of way in crosswalks, but many people mistakenly believe they always have the right of way. A person who jaywalks puts him or herself at risk as well as bicycle riders.
- Poor roadways. Cyclists must keep their eyes on the road as well as on the cars around them. Broken pavement, older sewer drains, and debris in the road poses dangers to riders.
- Poorly designed helmets. Tennessee requires riders to wear helmets, but a helmet failure can lead to a traumatic brain injury. We assist families whose loved one was hurt when a helmet failed to protect them.
- Defective child seats. Lots of families go for bike rides together. If your child was on the back of your bike and suffered injury in an accident due to a failed safety seat, we can help.
Riding a bicycle can be a lot of fun, but even a seemingly minor accident can seriously injure the rider. A car accident at any speed may leave a rider paralyzed temporarily or permanently, could lead to permanent disfigurement or scarring, or could even lead to the tragic death of your loved one. If you, your child or your loved one was hurt in a bike crash along West Tennessee roads or highways, Bailey & Greer will fight aggressively on your behalf.
What injuries are commonly caused by bicycle accidents?
In any sort of accident involving a motor vehicle, there is the capacity for serious, life-altering, and life-threatening injuries. When the other party is on nothing more than a bicycle, however, that capacity is even greater. Even with the usage of helmets (which do save lives and should always be worn by riders), cyclists are incredibly exposed. Cars are designed with airbags and shock absorption — two things even the best bicycles cannot emulate in the same way.
Therefore, there are usually no such thing as “minor” injuries in a bike-against-car accident. Some severe injuries commonly associated with bicycle accidents include:
- Traumatic brain injuries, including concussions, skull fractures, and intracranial fractures. Head injuries of some sort occur in almost 47% of bicycle accidents, usually caused by impact with a motor vehicle.
- Road rash, coming from a body skidding across asphalt and possibly resulting in severe disfigurement, scarring, burn injuries, and infections.
- Broken or crushed bones, possibly resulting in amputation if the limb is not able to be saved.
- Severe blunt force trauma, which could lead to internal hemorrhaging, punctured lungs, and other major complications.
How do you prove liability in a bicycle accident case?
When it comes to proving liability in any personal injury case, be it a car accident, bicycle accident, or even just a slip-and-fall, it is all about proving negligence or malice on the other side. Depending on the specific details of your case, it may be harder or easier to do this, and there may be more or fewer defenses available — but that is why hiring legal representation is so important.
Your Memphis personal injury attorney will go over your case with you and look for examples of recklessness or negligence from the other party. If the driver of the motor vehicle involved was speeding, running traffic signals, or committing other traffic violations, those are all grounds for negligence under the law. Once we establish negligence, we get to work on securing the compensation to which you are entitled, and you can finally get the justice and closure you deserve.
How can a Memphis bicycle accident attorney help?
The other side will be trying as hard as possible to deny any and all accountability by trying to pin fault on the victim. If they have legal representation and you — the victim — do not, you are not likely to win, even if you should. No, it is not fair, but accidents of any sort rarely are.
When you hire experienced representation like the Memphis attorneys at Bailey & Greer, you make it fair. Having an attorney work on your behalf can ensure the facts of the case are presented fairly, truthfully, and wholly in the strongest way possible. If you have been severely injured in a bicycle accident, the compensation to which you may be entitled can cover all medical expenses, therapies, accommodations, and any lost wages. It is too big of a reward to risk missing out on, purely because you did not have an attorney looking out for your best interests.
Is there a bicycle accident attorney near me?
You can find the offices of Bailey & Greer at 6256 Poplar Avenue, Memphis, TN. We’re near Route 240 and offer off-street parking. We also have offices in Jackson and represent folks throughout West Tennessee. If your injuries are too severe for you to travel, we can visit you in the hospital or wherever you may need us, or via video chat.
Contact our Memphis bicycle accident attorneys today
The after-effects of a serious bike accident are frustrating and confusing; choosing the right lawyer to represent you and your family need not be. The Memphis attorneys at Bailey & Greer, PLLC offer hope to families after an accident has threatened to change their futures forever. To speak with a dedicated personal injury attorney about your case, please call 901-475-7434 or fill out our contact form. We maintain offices in both Memphis and Jackson for your convenience.