Jackson Medical Malpractice Attorneys
Helping West Tennessee families whose lives have been changed by negligent doctors, nurses, and healthcare professionals
We rely on our doctors to cure our ills and fix our injuries. It is, after all, what healers are supposed to do. When doctors fail in their duties, and their negligence and errors lead to additional or exacerbated illnesses, there are legal options available to you that will hold these doctors accountable for their mistakes.
The aggressive Jackson medical malpractice attorneys of Bailey & Greer, PLLC, have the skills, resources, and experience to handle complex medical negligence claims. We are a team of trial attorneys who fight for justice on behalf of our clients throughout West Tennessee. We will do everything in our power to ensure that you have the best possible chance for a better, brighter future.
What is medical malpractice?
Proving malpractice requires evidence of four elements:
- The healthcare provider had a duty of care to the patient.
- That duty of care was not upheld or was breached in some way.
- The patient suffered harm (or damages) because of that breach of duty.
- The injuries or illnesses sustained by the patient were the result of the healthcare provider’s breach in care.
Not every mistake made by a doctor can be considered malpractice, nor is every injury or illness the result of negligent care. Sometimes terrible things happen to people through no fault of anyone at all. Therefore, you want an experienced Jackson medical malpractice lawyer on your side if a doctor hurts you. You want someone who can interpret the data, review the medical records, examine the outcome, and help you determine whether you have a claim.
Common examples of medical negligence
A prominent medical malpractice insurer reported that in 2017 diagnostic errors accounted for 34% of medical malpractice payouts. Surgical errors accounted for 24% of medical malpractice payouts, and treatment errors accounted for 18% of medical malpractice payouts. The most common medical malpractice payouts by severity of outcome were for death (31%), for injuries that caused significant permanent injury (18%), and for major permanent injury (17%).
In cases where a breach of duty directly leads to your illness or injury, Bailey & Greer, PLLC, can provide the comprehensive and aggressive legal counsel you deserve. Our firm routinely represents West Tennessee families whose loved ones have been harmed by doctors, nurses, surgeons, specialists, and other healthcare providers. Those cases often involve the following situations:
- Failure to diagnose an illness or injury in a timely manner
- Failure to treat an illness in a timely manner
- Failure to monitor a patient before, during or after a procedure
- Failure to warn patients about potential side effects of medications or risks of surgical procedures
- Failure to obtain consent before beginning a course of treatment or before performing a surgical procedure
- Surgical errors, including “never events” such as wrongful amputation
- Medication errors, including problems with dosage amounts for prescription medications or anesthesia
- Sterilization errors leading to the spread of infections such as C. diff or MRSA
- Labor and delivery errors leading to birth injuries
What is the time limit to file a medical malpractice claim in Tennessee?
In Tennessee, medical malpractice claims must be filed within one year of the date you sustained the injury, but no more than three years after the injury occurred (in cases where the harm done to you does not manifest right away).
What damages are available for medical negligence?
Depending on the circumstances of your case, you may be entitled to compensation for your medical expenses, funeral costs, lost wages, pain and suffering, and loss of consortium (on behalf of your spouse). In cases where one of our Jackson medical malpractice lawyers can prove the healthcare provider or facility acted “maliciously, intentionally, fraudulently or recklessly,” you may also be entitled to punitive damages.
Types of Cases We Handle
Our Jackson attorneys handle a variety of cases, including:
|Personal Injury||Car Accidents||Truck Accident||Medical Malpractice|
|Birth Injury||Defective Drugs and Medical Devices||Nursing Home Abuse & Neglect||Social Security Disability|
Let a dedicated Jackson medical malpractice lawyer help you
Coping with an injury caused by medical malpractice is challenging. Choosing the right attorney in West Tennessee to fight for your future shouldn’t be. The Jackson medical malpractice lawyers of Bailey & Greer, PLLC, are here to help. To find out more about our services or to schedule your free consultation, please call 731-423-2789 or fill out our contact form.
Jackson, Tennessee Office
2790-A N Highland Ave
Jackson, TN 38305