Truck accidents often cause life-altering injuries, such as traumatic brain injuries, spinal cord damage, traumatic amputation, and severe fractures. Many truck accidents are deadly. Commercial truck crashes are often catastrophic because the size, weight, and dimensions of these vehicles are significantly larger than passenger cars or motorcycles.
Victims who survive often require a lifetime of medical care, compensation for their lost income because they cannot work, and compensation for their daily pain and suffering, which may last a lifetime. The families of deceased truck accident victims are also entitled to hold responsible drivers and trucking companies accountable for the devastation caused when a loved one loses their life from their injuries.
The trucking companies will hire the top defense lawyers in the state. You need aggressive Memphis truck accident lawyers with a record of strong results. You need lawyers who are experienced in all phases of civil litigation, including trying cases before juries. At Bailey & Greer, PLLC, our truck accident attorneys have been fighting for truck accident victims for more than 35 years.
Look for: A record of successful truck accident settlements and verdicts
- A $5 Million settlement for a truck accident victim who suffered a traumatic brain injury and required orthopedic surgeries. We asserted that a trucking company failed to install alarms on their trucks which would have warned our client that a truck bed was in an upright position. Our client violently crashed into the bed of a truck which was not visible to our client.
- A $1 Million settlement for our client who was severely injured and paralyzed below the chest after a collision with a tractor-trailer truck. The driver of the tractor-trailer was speeding, fatigued, and not paying attention. The defendant trucking company failed to properly train its truck drivers and failed to properly monitor the number of hours its drivers were on the road.
- A $3.7 Million jury verdict when our client was rear-ended b a truck driver. Our clients suffered permanent spine and back injuries – and lives in chronic pain. The trucking company defendant, after four years, finally admitted that the truck driver was at-fault for the crash.
Look for: A Memphis injury attorney who handles truck accident cases
According to the Forbes Advisor, “having someone on your side not only helps you get the most money for your case, but will also alleviate a lot of the frustration and aggravation of handling the case on your own.”
They also state that it is critical you find a personal injury attorney with the right background. A strong background includes choosing lawyers with experience handling truck accident cases, as these are different than car accident cases. There are often multiple defendants – in addition to the driver; the owners of the truck, the trucking company that hired the driver, the broker that arranged the shipment, and many other drivers may be liable.
There are special rules for operating and loading trucks. For example, the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration has rules for how long a driver can operate a truck before he or she must take a rest break. The Occupational Safety and Health Administration has rules for the proper loading and unloading of trucks.
Our Memphis truck accident lawyers understand the federal and state laws that regulate truck operations. We understand how to file claims against multiple defendants, and we’re skilled at filing truck accident claims in both federal and state courts. We also understand some of the unique reasons that truck accidents happen, including truck underride accidents, wide-turn accidents, jackknife accidents, and rollover accidents.
Look for: Compatibility with your truck accident lawyer
Forbes Advisor also emphasizes that you should meet with your attorney to determine if you’re compatible. At Bailey & Greer, PLLC, our truck accident lawyers take pride in:
- Answering all your questions and returning your phone calls.
- Guiding you through each phase of the litigation process, including preparing you and your case for trial.
- Understanding the scope and depth of your injuries. We work with your and your doctors to fully understand your diagnosis, what medical treatments you need, and every way your injuries have made your life more difficult and upsetting.
At the initial consultation, you’ll see that our lawyers can explain the specifics of your case and answer your questions using plain English and not legal jargon.
Look for: The resources to handle Memphis truck accident cases
You need lawyers who have the resources and network to handle your truck accident case from the initial investigation through trial. Our legal team works with private investigators who examine the accident site and all the vehicles involved in the truck accident. We can work with authorities investigating the accident. When necessary, our lawyers work with traffic reconstruction experts. In some cases, we also work with truck parts experts.
In addition to working with your physicians, we have our own network of physicians who are ready to assist you when needed. We also work with your employers and financial professionals who can verify your economic losses.
We generally advance the funds to the professionals and only receive reimbursement for their time and reports if your case settles or there is a jury verdict in your favor. This means you pay nothing unless you win.
We have the skills and experience to anticipate the arguments the insurance companies and defense lawyers make. Our attorneys prepare your case thoroughly before we prepare a demand letter to the insurance companies. Many cases do settle. When necessary, however, we’re ready to persuasively argue your case before a jury.
Look for: The Memphis injury attorneys at Bailey & Greer, PLLC
At Bailey & Greer, PLLC, our Memphis and Jackson truck accident lawyers have earned the respect of former clients, insurance companies, and defense lawyers. We do everything we can to establish your trust and fight for your rights. We demand that injured victims be compensated for their medical bills, lost income, pain and suffering, and other damages. In fatal accidents, we seek wrongful death damages, including compensation for the financial contributions and love, support, and guidance the decedent would have provided the members of his/her family.
Since graduating magna cum laude in 2005 from the University of Memphis School of Law, Thomas has helped make a difference in the lives of victims of serious personal injury, wrongful death, and professional negligence. Thomas has extensive trial experience in both state and federal court. Among other victories in the courtroom, Thomas obtained several impressive jury verdicts and settlements
Read more about Thomas R. Greer